Around 30 people have been injured at a Jewish festival after a small explosion when the fire was lit. Some reports suggest that mobile phones that had been thrown onto the fire had exploded during the celebrations. The devices were put onto the flames at Stamford Hill, north east London, for Lag BaOmer ‘as a warning against the evil of smartphones’. However, the blast only happened as the fire was being lit, suggesting that it was caused by fumes from the fuel on the fire, believed to be oil.
On footage recorded at the scene you can hear a bang and a large flash as the fire is lit, suggesting that it was the ignition of the fire that caused the small blast. Hatzola, a volunteer ambulance service in the Jewish community, said: ‘Earlier this evening we provided a mega response team to a major incident as a result of a fire explosion, alongside @Ldn_Ambulance @LAS_HART & @lfbhackney, Multiple patients were treated.’ London Ambulance Service went to the scene at about 11pm and treated multiple people for burns. Ten of them were hurt by the flames while another 20 were injured as they turned and ran. Hackney Police said: ‘Ten individuals suffered minor injuries following large fire lit as part of local Jewish community celebration in Ravensdale Road, Stamford Hill. No criminal allegations reported. No serious injuries.’ Members of volunteer ambulance service Hatzola tended to people at the scene Caption: Stamford Hill ExplosionProvider: @999London footage recorded at the scene you can hear a bang and a large flash as the fire is lit (Picture: @DiaryOtdGirl/Twitter) Some reports suggest that mobile phones that had been thrown onto the fire had exploded (picture: @999London London Fire Brigade also attended the scene yesterday evening (Picture: Hatzola) Ten people were hurt by the flames while another 20 were injured as they turned and ran